Biohazard Safety Tips
Sewer backups and flood water are two common biohazard scenarios that can affect homes and businesses. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to safely clean and restore this type of contamination.
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of East Evansville Professionals are water damage restoration specialists and have specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants. If you need biohazard cleanup call us today at (812)-471-3132.